Veterans Affairs

VA Educational Benefits


If this is your initial claim, complete an Application for Benefits (VA Form 22-1990 or VA Form 22-5490 if you are a dependent of an eligible veteran).  VA forms can be completed on line at or paper applications can be obtained from the Atlanta Technical College (ATC) Veteran's Affairs Office.  The Veteran's Affairs Regional Office will process your application and send you a Certification of Eligibility if you qualify.  Upon receiving a Certification of Eligibility, you should submit a copy of it, your DD214, and your class schedule to the ATC VA Office.  If you have previously filed for VA Educational Benefits, and have received a Certification of Eligibility (CE) from the VA or if a CE is pending, you should just submit a copy of it, your DD214, and your class schedule to the ATC VA Office.


Once you have submitted the documentation described above, the VA Rep will validate your enrollment and send a certification to the appropriate VA Regional Office. This is called the Enrollment Certification Process. Since you cannot be paid for your benefits until the VA rep certifies your enrollment, and he or she cannot certify your enrollment until he has your class schedule, you must remember to submit a copy of your class schedule at the beginning of each quarter.

Enrollment Status Changes and Withdrawals

It is the student’s responsibility to notify the ATC VA Rep of any changes in enrollment status, program of study, place of training, etc. These type changes affect your eligibility and must be reported to the VA Regional Office. If you withdraw from school or drop/add classes, we recommend that you notify the VA Representative within three days of that change. Failure to do this can result in the loss of future benefits and/or repayment of benefits received in error. Please remember to report any enrollment changes promptly.

Change of Program or Place of Training

If you have been approved for VA educational benefits and then decide to transfer to another school and/or change programs or majors, you must complete a Request for Change of Program or Change of Place of Training (VA Form 22-1995 or VA Form 22-5495 depending on your program). You can get this form from the VA Rep or download it from the VA's web site:

Address Changes

Address changes and changes of Banks should also be reported to the Department of Veteran Affairs. This is because a change in address may delay benefit checks, because the VA will not forward your benefits checks to a new address. If you close a bank account without first informing the VA, they will send your benefit payment to the old bank account. If the bank refuses the payment and sends the check back, it goes to the U.S. Dept of Treasury and takes about two weeks to get reposted. You can change your payment information on the verification form or via telephone at the Department of Veteran Affairs phone number: 1-888-442-4551 (1-888-GI-BILL1).

Tutorial Forms

Eligible veterans who have a course deficiency may be eligible to receive reimbursement for payment to a tutor for individual tutoring. The veteran, tutor, course instructor, and ATC VA Certifying Official must complete parts of the tutorial forms. Contact the Regional VA Office to obtain a tutorial form by calling 1-800-827-1000.

Time Frame/Payment of Benefits

The time period for an original claim is roughly 120 to 150 days to Process. The time period for Previous Claimed Certification Claims is 30 to 90 days. Since we do not have advanced pay, the way to effectively work this system is to give it plenty of time. Plan ahead, apply for both VA and Federal Financial Aid assistance, fill out all the required forms completely and accurately and avoid the errors that will cost you time during the initial claim period.

Educational Rates

To view the VA educational rates, please visit

Satisfactory Academic Progress

All recipients are required to maintain satisfactory academic progress according to standards established and published by the college. This includes a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or greater as well as a 67% or greater completion rate. If you fail to maintain the minimum requirements as stipulated in the ATC satisfactory academic progress policy, your benefits will be terminated.

If you have any questions, Please call the ATC VA Rep at (404) 225-4718.

For more information click here