The Barbering program is a sequence of courses that prepares students for careers in the field of barbering. Learning opportunities develop academic and professional knowledge and skills required for job acquisition, retention, and advancement. The program emphasizes specialized training in safety, sanitation, hair treatments and manipulations, haircutting techniques, shaving, skin care, reception, sales, and management. The curriculum meets state licensing requirements of the Georgia State Board of Barbering. The program graduate receives a Barbering II certificate and is employable as a barber, salon/shop manager, or a salon/shop owner.
Minimum Program Length: 3 Semesters
Estimated Program Cost: $5,528
Gainful Employment Disclosure
- Must be 16 years of age.
- Official high school or GED transcript is required to apply.
- Achievement of minimum program admission scores in Reading, English, and Math.
- Transfer of previous post-secondary credits will be determined by the registrar.
Licensing Board: Georgia State Board of Barbering, 237 Coliseum Drive, Macon, GA 31217, 478.207.1430
Blood and Airborne Pathogens: Students enrolled in Category I and II programs at Atlanta Technical College will be performing tasks in which there is a normal occurrence for exposure to blood, other potentially infectious body materials, and airborne pathogens. These tasks will be performed in the classroom, laboratory, and clinical activities for each occupational training program/course. Students will be required to present documentation of Hepatitis B and Tuberculosis immunizations as a result of potential occupational exposure. Students should contact their program directors for more information. Policies and procedures regarding blood and airborne pathogens may be reviewed at tcsg.org.
At a Glance
Curriculum (36 hours)
Occupational Courses (36 hours)
- BARB 1000 Introduction to Barber/Styling Implements | 3 – 45
- BARB 1010 Science: Sterilization, Sanitation, and Bacteriology | 3 – 75
- BARB 1022 Haircutting and Shampooing I | 3 – 90
- BARB 1024 Haircutting and Shampooing II | 3 – 90
- BARB 1030 Haircutting/Basic Styling | 3 – 105
- BARB 1040 Shaving | 3 – 90
- BARB 1050 Science: Anatomy and Physiology | 3 – 45
- BARB 1082 Advanced Haircutting and Styling I | 3 – 120
- BARB 1084 Advanced Haircutting and Styling II | 3 – 135
- BARB 1090 Structures of Skin, Scalp, Hair and Facial Treatments | 3 – 105
- BARB 1100 Barber/Styling Practicum and Internship | 3 – 135
- BARB 1110 Shop Management/Ownership | 3 – 105