Health Information Technicians organize and maintain health information data by ensuring its quality, accuracy, accessibility, and security in both paper and electronic systems. They use various classification systems to code and categorize patient information for reimbursement purposes, for databases and registries, and to maintain patients’ medical and treatment histories. The Health Information Systems Certificate program is designed to provide students with the technical knowledge and skills necessary to support installing, using and maintaining electronic health records. Program graduates will be prepared to organize and maintain health information data.Apply Now!
Minimum Program Length: 2 Semesters
Estimated Program Cost: $4,358
Gainful Employment Disclosure
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Official high school or GED transcript is required to apply.
- Achievement of minimum program admission scores in Reading, English, and Math.
- Transfer of previous post-secondary credits will be determined by the registrar.
Blood and Airborne Pathogens: Students enrolled in Category I and II programs at Atlanta Technical College will be performing tasks in which there is a normal occurrence for exposure to blood, other potentially infectious body materials, and airborne pathogens. These tasks will be performed in the classroom, laboratory, and clinical activities for each occupational training program/course. Students will be required to present documentation of Hepatitis B and Tuberculosis immunizations as a result of potential occupational exposure. Students should contact their program directors for more information. Policies and procedures regarding blood and airborne pathogens may be reviewed at tcsg.org.
At a Glance
Curriculum (24 hours)
- General Education Courses (6 hours)
- ENGL 1010 Fundamentals of English | 3 45
- MATH 1012 Foundations of Mathematics | 3 45
Occupational Courses (18 hours)
- CIST 1200 Database Management | 4 90
- CIST 1305 Program Design and Development | 3 60
- HIMT 1100 Introduction to Health Information Technology | 3 60
- HIMT 1200 Legal Aspects of Healthcare | 3 60
- HIMT 1250 Health Record Content and Structure | 2 45
- HIMT 2150 Healthcare Statistics | 3 75